Welcome To Spoke Length Calculator
During spring 2018 I decided to take up an old subject, which I left behind way back in my early 20's. Programming. However, this time focus more on website development rather than c++.
This came about due to a work project to rebuild the company website. Well, actually to come up with a design and get our website provider to create it.
This turned out to be a fun and at times frustrating project as our website provider couldn't work to a time line that suited the company and started to cause a bit of frustration between
us. It took at least four months from submitting the initial design to being turned into a website. Then another two months for the development to be completed. When the site was completed
it looked a hundred times better than the original site.
Naively, I started to wonder if I could do a better job. After all it's just lines of code with some formatting!
During lunch breaks and some evening reading I started to pick up snippets of information on website development and within a short time I started to work on my first project, a spoke
length calculator. The brief was simple, so I naively thought.
- Select Hub and Rim Data from drop down menus
- Allow users to input data
- Display the spoke lengths
- Create a login system and allow users to save spoke lengths for wheels they have built
- Let registered users add hub and rim data to the database
I knew there would be a database and that some trickery would be required to update the drop down lists of models when users selected different hub and rim manufactures. However, I didnt have a clue how to do
any of it. With help from the internet I learnt the basics of MySQL and how to implement them into the site using jqury and php. I already had an excel file with hub and rim measurements and once the structure
of the database was decided on I imported the hub and rim data.
Now the real fun begins
ssl certificate the site went public on 15th May 2018. Since then the site has gone through a few, behind the scene updates as my experience increases.
Below are the features i'll be working on over the coming months. As they are completed each one will be strike out
Make the site mobile and small screen friendly
Save your current wheel build configuration
See list of saved wheel builds with dimensions and be able to re-use the dimensions
To be able to add hub and rim measurements
Update the database. Its about 13 years old
- Be able to calculate unusual spoke patterns
- Be able to validate other users data
Make the data base and make it searchable
- Also have the option to choose between different calculations
Be able to recover your account
- Be able to delete your account and any personal data
Updates to Spoke Length Calculator
8th July 2020:
There has been some minor and major updates to the site since the last update, with only a few mentioned here
- Hookless rims are becoming popular with tubesless wheels. You will need to provide this information when adding/updating rims
- Also when adding/updating rims you will need to include choose either the rim is for clincher or tubular tyres
- This is a big one! Most pages do not use jQuery any more. Other pages, mainly the home page, will follow. However, the drop down menus still require jQuery
- The site has been minified. This plus the removal of jQuery has seen a speed boost in load times and responsiveness 😎🍅
- Some code has been tidied up and 'features 🤷🏾♀️' have been removed!
11th January 2020:
This will come in two parts, the first is to fix the issues with the fonts as they were not displaying properly. Also start to implement a way for search engine bots to have access to
the database of rims and hubs.
Also these has been some other tweaks.
- The CSS code for the logo and header has been greatly improved. Now when you change the browser width, the logo and strap line font size changes a lot more smoothly
- There are also subtle CSS changes around the site which has improved the overall display and flow
- File names have been changed to make them more SEO friendly, and where required redirects have been put into place. This means your book marks should still work 🤞
- The messageboard has had a minor revamp with styling and tinymce has been updated to the latest version. The code has also been tidied up which has
- What are your thoughts on having a light theme too?
23rd November 2019:
- This part has taken quite a bit longer than I was anticipating. But I have done it. the website database is now searchable.
- The length of this statement doesn't reflect the time put into doing this.
- The layout will need updating at some point as it works best on monitors rather than small hand held devices. If you are using one of those, it's best to use it in landscape mode.
- Also, bugs have been fixed and code cleaned up so that you can once again create new hub and rim make and models. I have added a spam filter, if the hub or rim you just created
doesnt show up straight away, then it's fallen fowl and will be waiting for approval.
14th July 2019:
- For the time being, only Admin users can change and update hub and rim dimensions. Other users can still enter new models nad makes
- Added the ability to input custom spoke patterns for each side of the wheel. The custom cross pattern will over-ride any other selected option
20th June 2019:
- It is now possible to change existing rim and hub measurements
- Updated the information required when entering new rims and hubs
- The OSB measurement has been updated. You now need to enter left and right offsets
- I have finally updated the from page with flexbox and is now working more smoothly
10th May 2019:
- Added the ability to add new rims.
- Added a check list to new hub data. If the new measurements are beyond normal, the hub will need to be accepted by admin before being visible on the site. A similar feature will
be added to new rims too.
Adding new hubs and rims are still work in progress and will change. Please let me know if you have any suggestions to improve on these.
25th April 2019:
- Re-wrote the drop down list. The original version from ddSlick has had so much added to it, to suit this site, that
it became bloated and developed... um lets say undocumented features! The code had been tidied up, which has lead to less code and made it more manageable.
14th April 2019:
- Finally started to work on one of the coming features.. We can start to add new hub models and manufactures :)
- Adding new rim models will be along very shortly.
Some notes though. The drop down list to show hub manufactures, when adding new models is a bit flaky and requires work. We'll call these unexpected added features. Have fun with them!
4th March 2019:
- Tidied up the UI and fixed a bug in the drop down menus
- Fixed the issue with S jumping about. I changed the letter spacing from a fixed height to %
24th February 2019:
- Redesigned the UI Again. This time I've gone for a dark theme
- Redesigned the logo again. The S works perfectly in Firefox, but in Chrome and Edge it jumps about when being re-sized!
- Updated diagrams on how to measure rims and hubs
- Added searchable lists for hubs and rims
- Site code has been tided up
15th January 2019:
- Redesigned the UI. With each update the menu in the header was getting longer and didn't fit anymore, and the overall design looked dated.
- The logo still needs some work!
- Server and site code has been tided up
13th December 2018:
- Radial calculations have been updated. Please let me know if it's still out.
- Added a message board. In hindsight I should of used Disqus or something similar. However, as I'm learning to code I came up with this. What do you think of it?
11th October 2018:
- Experimenting with the drop down menus. Originally, when the menus dropped down the input box got focus. this works fine on desk tops but on mobiles the virtual
keyboard will show, which will hide the menu. You will now need to click into the edit box to view the keyboard.
10th October 2018:
- Fixed hub measurement order, as they were being displayed incorrectly.
- Radial calculation should work again, Please let me know if the calculations are not correct.
8th October 2018:
This is the first major update to the site. You may need to clear your browser cache if the site isn't displaying correctly.
- When selecting a saved wheel build, the models will show in the drop down menus and display your measurements. Be aware, your measurements might differ from the latest version of your
selected hub and rim measurements.
- The UI has been updated. It's also 'work in progress'. The main difference is with the drop down menus.
- A lot of the backend code has been cleaned up
- You can now log in across multiple devices without being logged out on another device
- logging out now works correctly. Previously you were not always logged out on first attempt
You're more than welcome to suggest any features you'd like to see on Spoke Length Calculator.
This page was updated on 29th July 2020